This month I have a few favorite recipes to share for your body, spirit and home. Who doesn’t need a little extra support to face the dry air and cold season! Let’s start with a diffuser blend to brighten spirits:
WINTER-PICK-ME-UP DIFFUSER BLEND
Bring the outdoors in without the chill by diffusing this fresh and uplifting blend on a snowy winter day:
– 1 drop Juniper
– 2 drops Peppermint
– 3 drops Orange
For dry chapped lips, I liked this recipe for the small batch measurements (especially on a first attempt) and love the benefits of shea butter for the skin.
NATURAL LIP BALM RECIPE
– 1 Tbsp Beeswax Pellets
– 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
– 1 Tbsp Shea Butter
– 12 Drops essential oil of your choice
1. Melt together the shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax pellets. You can do this by placing everything in a bowl over boiling water or by placing it in the microwave and heating for 30 seconds, stir, heat for another 30 seconds, stir. Continue doing this until the beeswax is entirely melted.
2. Stir in your essential oils
3. While still liquid, fill your containers.
4. Allow to cool.
I prefer melting the solid ingredients using the double boiler method for better control and mixing. It’s really very simple to make, and fun to custom mix essential oils for a variety of intents. The fragrant influence of Orange is both uplifting and relaxing. Peppermint is stimulating and may also be an effective appetite suppressant.
Refresh small, stagnant spaces with deodorizing discs that you can drop in a waste basket, the toilet tank or gym locker.
DEODORIZING DISC RECIPE
– 1 cup baking soda
– 1/4 cup water
– Essential oil of your choice
– A cupcake baking pan and 12 silicone baking cups
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line cupcake pan with 12 silicone baking cups.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine baking soda and water and mix into a paste.
4. Spoon paste evenly into prepared pan and smooth the top of each cup with your fingers.
5. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. When cool, add 1-3 drops of essential oil to each cup.
7. Store unused discs in an airtight container.
A few invigorating single oils to try include Lemongrass, Eucalyptus and Grapefruit.